Main Research Interests
- Natural language generation
- Spoken dialogue systems and chatbots
- Evaluation methods for NLG/dialogue/NLP
- NG-NLG – Language generation with neural & symbolic methods (ERC StG, 2022-2027)
- EDU-AI – Education chatbot assistant (Czech Technical Agency, 2021-2023)
- THEaiTRE – Automatically generating a theatre play (Czech Technical Agency, 2020-2022)
- NaMuDDiS – Natural Multi-domain Dialogue Systems (Charles University funded, 2019-2021)
- METOD – dialogue management (industry cooperation with Agnostix co-funded by City of Prague, 2020)
At Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh (2016-2018):
- DILiGENt – natural language generation
- MaDrIgAL – spoken dialogue systems
- Alexa Prize Challenge – chatbots (Alana – 2x finalist team, 2x 3rd place)
During my Ph.D. study (2011-2016):
- AdaNLG – adaptive natural language generator (2014-2016)
- Vystadial – statistical spoken dialogue system (2013-2016)
- QTLeap – semantic machine translation (2013-2016)
- Khresmoi – medical information retrieval (working on machine translation, 2013-2014)
- FAUST – improving machine translation fluency (2011-2013)
Students I supervise:
- Vojtěch Hudeček (Ph.D. with Zdeněk Žabokrtský, since 2018)
- Zdeněk Kasner (Ph.D. since 2019)
- Sourabrata Mukherjee (Ph.D. since 2019)
- Ondřej Plátek (Ph.D. since 2021)
- Patrícia Schmidtová (completed BSc. with Vojtěch Hudeček, 2018–2019; completed MSc. 2020–2022, PhD. since 2023)
- František Trebuňa (MSc. since 2021)
- Nalin Kumar (MSc. since 2022)
- Ekaterina Garanina (MSc., LCT with Uni Groningen, with Gertjan van Noord, since 2022)
- Borek Požár (completed BSc. with Martin Čmejrek & Jan Cuřín, 2020-2021, MSc. since 2023)
My former students:
- Shubham Agarwal (Ph.D. at Heriot-Watt, with Verena Rieser & Ioannis Konstas, 2017-2019)
- Peter Grajcar (completed MSc. 2022-2023)
- Vojtěch John (completed BSc. 2021-2022)
- Jonáš Kulhánek (completed MSc. 2020-2021)
- Ondřej Motlíček (completed MSc. 2021–2022)
- Tomáš Nekvinda (completed MSc. 2019–2020; Ph.D. 2020-2022)
- Saad Obaid ul Islam (completed MSc., LCT with Uni Saarbrücken, with Vera Demberg & Iza Škrjanec, 2022-2023)
- Jakub Růžička (completed BSc. with Jan Cuřín & Martin Čmejrek, 2022-2023)
- Kristína Szabová (completed MSc. 2022-2023)
- Jaroslav Šafář (completed MSc. 2021-2023)
- Daniel Štancl (Ph.D. 2020-2022)
- Jan Vainer (completed MSc. 2019–2020)
- Xinnuo Xu (completed Ph.D., CDT Robotics Edinburgh, with Verena Rieser & Ioannis Konstas, 2016–2021)
2023/02/21: Our paper titled Barriers and enabling factors for error analysis in NLG research (van Miltenburg et al.) was accepted at the North European Journal of Language Technology. The journal is open-access.
2023/02/09: I gave a talk on Robust Data-to-text Generation with Pretrained Language Models at the Prague Computer Science seminar.
2023/01/20: Our paper Mind the Labels: Describing Relations in Knowledge Graphs With Pretrained Models (Kasner et al.) was accepted at EACL. A preprint is on arXiv.
2022/09/22: Our paper titled Learning Interpretable Latent Dialogue Actions With Less Supervision (Hudeček & Dušek) was accepted at AACL-IJCNLP. A preprint is on arXiv.
2022/07/15: Our paper titled AARGH! End-to-end Retrieval-Generation for Task-Oriented Dialog (Nekvinda & Dušek) was accepted at SIGDIAL. It is now available on arXiv.
2022/04/06: Our paper DIASER: A Unifying View on Task-Oriented Dialogue Annotation (Hudeček et al.) was accepted for LREC 2022. You can now see the paper in the proceedings.
2022/01/10: I was awarded an ERC grant titled Next-Generation Natural Language Generation. It joins explicit semantics and neural language models in order to get natural and accurate NLG outputs. You can read a short report in the UK Forum magazine, more info will follow.
Tools I'm participating on
- Alex – spoken dialogue system framework
- Flect – statistical morphology generation
- MTMonkey – machine translation web services infrastructure
- RatPred – trainable NLG quality estimation
- TGen – a statistical natural language generator
- Treex – a modular NLP toolkit