Demo 1 -- Verb Patterns Classification
Preparing data for a supervised machine learning task
Manual annotation and basic data analysis
- You will work with two English verbs, namely cry and enlarge.
First, get familiar with the verbs. Look at their dictionary definitions.
(The following excerpts are taken from the Collins Cobuild English Dictionary.)
Your task -- manual annotation of a sample data
- You will be given 10+10 sentences with the given verbs
- You should recognize the pattern of verb usage
For each sentence you should assign a pattern that fits best the given sentence
- if you do not think that no pattern matches the sentence, choose "u"
- if you do not think that the given word is a verb, choose "x"
- Each student will take and fill just one of the following forms
- Gold Standard
- Automatic classifier (model F1)
- Students' annotations (60 examples, 4 groups, 2015)